So you’re thinking about having your bust surgically enhanced. Whether you’re interested in implants to increase your chest size, a breast reduction, or a simple lift, you need to do your homework before you decide on a plastic surgeon.
The Dangers of Choosing the Wrong Doctor
Believe it or not, illegal (or “underground”) plastic surgery isn’t only a very real and serious crime; it’s actually on the rise. Unfortunately, the number of “surgeons” performing illegal plastic surgery procedures is on the rise, so you need to protect yourself and make sure you choose a legitimate surgeon. It’s important for you to do your homework and make sure you choose a qualified medical professional. You’ll end up saving money in the long run because you won’t have to spend extra cash fixing the mistakes and complications which are often associated with illegal surgery. And in some circumstances, choosing the right doctor could mean the difference between life and death if those complications are severe.
What Questions Should You Ask Your Surgeon?
You can use the following checklist as a guide. These are questions you should ask every potential doctor before you make a final decision on who will perform your breast enhancement surgery:
- How many years have you been practicing this type of surgery?
- Where did you learn how to perform this surgery?
- Have you participated in any Continuing Medical Education regarding this surgery?
- Do you have a lot of experience with this surgery?
- How many times have you done this surgery?
- What do you consider a “successful” surgery? How many successful surgeries have you performed?
- Have any of your patients had to come back and get their surgical procedure corrected? If so, how many and why?
- How many of your patients have come to you to have botched surgeries performed by other doctors fixed?
- Do you have any before & after pictures of your past surgeries that I can look at for reference?
- Is this particular surgery right for me, considering the results I’m looking for? Or would you recommend an alternate procedure?
- Can you explain the risks and complications to me?
- Where do you usually perform this surgery?
- What sort of accreditation do you have?
Checking Your Doctor’s Credentials
If the surgeon you are looking into is qualified to perform the procedure you’re considering, their qualifications will be a matter of public record. For the safest and most successful surgery possible, do some research and make sure your doctor:
- Has acquired an official license to perform surgery in your state. If your state has not licensed your surgeon to perform procedures in your state, it is illegal for them to offer such services and should be considered a huge red flag
- Is classified by the American Board of Cosmetic Surgery (ABCS) as a board-certified plastic surgeon
- Has a clean medical malpractice record (or, at the very least, a reasonable explanation for any malpractice charges against them)
- Operates in an officially accredited facility. To verify this, you can check with either the Joint Commission, the American Association for Accreditation of Ambulatory Surgery Facilities, or the Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Health Care
- If your surgery requires anesthesia, make sure it will be performed by a certified anesthesiologist. They will either have CRNA certification or be an official physician anesthesiologist. This is especially important, because many surgical complications are linked to improper anesthesia
With these tips, you should have no problem finding the right doctor for the breast enhancement procedure you are looking for. But keep in mind that going under the knife isn’t your only option. It’s highly recommended that you try alternative methods of breast enhancement- especially herbal breast enhancement- before spending the time and money required for breast enhancement surgery. Our experts have reviewed and rated the top herbal breast enhancement products here.